Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Word to Your Drummer...


     I've been leading worship since I was 14. I started with just me and my acoustic guitar. I knew three songsLight the Fire, Jesus, Lover of My Soul, Take My Life. (I might have known, Every Move I Make too...remember "waves of mercy, waves of grace" and you had to do the motions!) By the time I learned some new songs the entire youth group never wanted to hear those three again. Eventually we were able to step up to guitar and bass and then drums. The drums were an amazing blessing and a tremendous burden on me as a worship leader. They added so much to the sound. It really felt like live music. But, the drummers who volunteer to play drums at the local student ministry aren't always the greatest. Long story short: We sang fast songs too slow and slow songs too fast...it was rough.

     If you're a worship drummer or a worship leader for your youth ministry you need to understand that you are both vital parts of the worship team. Drummers could stand to learn that dynamics are important and that you shouldn't use the double-bass pedal on How Great Thou Art. Worship leaders need to learn that (I can say this as a worship leader) you are just not as great as you think you are and making pops and clicks with your mouth might not suffice to explain the beat to your drummer.

     SO, in love. I hope both worship leaders and worship band drummers will watch this video. It's a great resource that our National Fine Arts director Rod Whitlock and an awesome drummer named Josh Little put out to help drummers understand some of the skills it takes to play and flow in a worship service. If you're a drummer check it out so you can get better. If you're a worship leader check it out so that you will better understand how to form beats yourself and so that you can help your drummer not just stare at them or tell them to play quieter.

Check out the video here: http://finearts.ag.org/resources.cfm


Remember these Classics?:

     -Note the period correct powerpoint slides including Magical Flying Letters, Purple Gradient, and (my personal favorite) Random Nature Scene








No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comments here to generate some discussion!